See our top tips for health and wellbeing while living in another country and see where innovations in technology can help.
- Let technology help! Tap into the plethora of technology and devices that can take the hassle out of keeping track of your health. There are apps, watches, devices and sites which can all be programmed for your new location which track performance, gym attendance, food and your diet, taking out the guess work.
- Check out our Cigna apps – such as the Cigna Coach app to help you exercise more, eat smarter, sleep better, reduce stress, lose weight or be healthier. Cigna customers will benefit from a variety of additional apps that can help you find the best hospitals and medical professionals, wherever you are.
- Change your diet! Moving to a new country will mean different supermarkets, different restaurants, and different local cuisine. You may even struggle to find some of your favourite foods. Try exploring locally produced, seasonal food, to ensure it’s at its freshest and most healthy!
- Think smoothies! A smoothy containing fresh fruit and veg can be a great, simple way to getting your recommended 5 a day. The latest technology in smoothie making gives you many options (with or without pulp?) and recipe ideas. Try new combinations for a quick breakfast or snack.
- Be mindful of mental health! Finding the right personal balance between work and life is essential for your wellbeing. The pressure of an increasingly demanding work culture in many countries is a big pressing challenge to the mental health of a huge number of people. Working too hard and too long can lead to personal distress, and have a negative impact on your health, so it’s important not to neglect other aspects of your life. You don’t need to have your own Virtual Relaxation pod – relaxing and meditating at home using some readily available online tools can help.
- Think about the climate of your new country and make sure you have weather-appropriate clothes! A sudden change from hot, dry weather to cold and wet can be a shock to the system and even impact upon your respiratory system.
- Get organised! For expats moving from one EU country to another, an EHIC card (European Health Insurance Card) can provide cover for emergency treatment for a short period of time; until you can get cover in the local health system. Apply online today.
See our guide for further details on how to stay healthy abroad.
Innovations in Health and Wellbeing Event
Cigna hosted its first ever ‘Innovations in Health and Wellbeing’ event on 25 January 2017 in London - home to one of the biggest expat communities in the world. With 3 million immigrants now living in London and surrounding areas alone, it is considered the go-to city for globally mobile professionals.
The theme was ‘Staying Healthy while Living Abroad’, with a focus on how technology and innovation can help health and wellbeing.
We hosted the event in partnership with InterNations, the largest online community specifically for expats. London-based InterNations members were invited to enjoy this exclusive networking event, learn how innovation can postively impact health and wellbeing, and connect with other expats in the London area. With a Virtual Relaxation pod to try, the Cigna ‘smoothie bike’ (using exercise to blend your favourite, healthy smoothie) and a showcase of health apps on the Apple Watch Series 2 from some Apple geniuses, there was a lot to do and see.
Follow us on Facebook for invitations to future Innovations in Health and Wellbeing events!